Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Maestro debut and warm fuzzies for a co-worker

This past Sunday October 8th, I experienced a first here at Metro: my first symphony orchestra concert. No, I wasn't playing in the concert (I can't read music to save my life). As much talk as I do about Metro students needing to have a complete college experience, full of new discoveries and adventures, I myself had never attended a concert.
My experience on Sunday was phenomenal. The new maestro, Alejandro Rivas was awesome. Like I said, I don't know much about music, even though I was in choir from elementary to high school. Plus I never played an instrument and singing in a choir is different than playing in an orchestra. May I also add that Maestro Rivas looked quite handsome in his tuxedo (nice pick, going with the tails).
But the most important reason why I attended the concert on Sunday was to cheer on my co-worker, Brandi. Brandi is a cool person; she laughs at my jokes and enjoys Starbucks as much as I do. We have been really good friends since she transferred to our office from the LAS Dean's Office.
Brandi plays the viola and performed well. She said that she messed up on the first song, "Finlandia" by Jean Sibelius (my favorite for the evening) but I thought she did great.
I'm glad I took the time to enjoy another MSCD activity before I graduate (and therefore, have to pay like a normal person). Taking my own advice never seemed so sweet.