Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Amber's Helpful Vacation Hint

I'm on vacation right now. Don't be jealous. I haven't taken time off since Jessica's wedding in June; before that, it was a trip to Disney World in January (paid for by my dad- got to love that last free vacation). So what have I been doing that past couple of days? Enjoying myself, sleeping, reading non-school books, usw.
Can I tell you how much fun I am having? It is almost illegal, the amount of fun that I am having.
One major theme of this vacation is to relax before the beginning of the school year; also I am taking this free time to give appreciation to the people that have helped me during my time here at Metro: my family.
For instance, in my "get to know me" post, I stated that I still lived at home. Which is why yesterday I found myself at Qdoba with my mother. I love to eat, so going out to lunch with my mom is a good thing. I will have to interject and say this one thing: I prefer Chipotle to Qdoba. Now you may say, "Amber, what does that have to do with vacation tips?" Nothing.
But it shows you how far I was willing to go to show my appreciation to my mom for all that she does for me during the school year. I have to build up the bridges that I will burn this semester- not intentionally, of course. But when I have two papers to write and an exam to study for, I'm not going to be worrying if the house is dirty or if the dishes need to be cleaned. Sorry Mom but like I've been saying quite frequently: "I'm graduating in December. Talk to me on December 18th, after I receive my diploma."
I'm going to make this a short post, so that I make continue enjoying my vacation. Do you know that Americans only take 14 vacation days a year (on average)? Brits take about 24 and the French have 39!! I think that we need to re-think our vacation policies here in America, but that is another post for another time.
I do want to leave you with a helpful message: When you take your next vacation and you stay at home, take the time to show your loved ones that you do care for them....by taking them to lunch. A picture may say a thousand words but who needs to talk when your mouth is full of free food?