Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Quick Thought: GRE practice tests

I was just having a lovely discussion with my even lovelier co-workers, Brandi and Laura and our friend Jean. Jean was telling us about her daughter Charla, who has been taking a GRE practice class for the last couple of weeks. I've met Charla, who is a bright and beautiful woman. My slight dilemma (and the cause of Laura's increased blood pressure for a few minutes) was this simple question: If you take a practice GRE course, does that count as cheating?

***Obviously, I know this isn't cheating; otherwise millions of people would be in big trouble

In these practice courses, you take the standardized tests (GRE, LSAT, MCAT, usw.) from previous years. By doing this, you are preparing yourself for not only the amount of effort it will take to focus on the questions for hours on end but also you are familiarizing yourself with the language used on the actual test, according to Laura. Sounds harmless right?

Now apply this to your undergrad studies. For example a class here at Metro; if I were to have access to previous exams used in a Psychology class that I was taking, wouldn't I be in trouble for cheating? Brandi seems to think that the key is who gave you the tests- the professor or a friend that has taken the class before?

Jean just shook her head at me.

So my fellow students and readers of my blog- send me a comment with your opinion on this particular topic. Or any other topic, if you want.