Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Friday, September 22, 2006

Hey Athletes! I have your back too...

Isn't this weather a nice change from the heat? I am so excited to be pulling out sweaters and coats in preparation of the upcoming fall/winter season. I think I might try to get up to the slopes, try my hand at snowboarding.
This afternoon I was enjoying the change of weather at the soccer fields. Metro's Women's team played at 1:30 and the Men played after, at 4PM. I took a quick afternoon break to see the Women- I say quick because I walked out there, our squad was winning by 4 points, so I watched five minutes and came back to finish my work day. But after 5PM, I ventured back to the fields to enjoy the rest of the Men's game. And enjoy it, I did.
Even though our team lost 2-0 to Fort Lewis. Sorry guys.
But there was plenty of excitement on the sidelines. Three stupid fans from Fort Lewis decided that it would be so cool if they came over to the Metro bleachers and cheered for their team. Maybe that's what the kids in Durango do for fun but up here in the big city, we act our age, not our shoe size.
Naturally, our fans are telling these kids to go back to their side and leave us alone. So what do these guys do? Begin to talk trash, calling out to some of the players on the Women's team, saying that they are fat and need to diet- Hello!?!? The team just killed Coe College 10-0 (granted, in a non-conference game but if it is on the schedule, it counts). These women are not fat; they are strong athletes. What those boys said was rude and childish. If you are going to talk trash, at least make it interesting for the rest of us to hear.
Back to the story and the reasoning behind the title of this post: I was very impressed with the number of athletes I saw from other MSCD Varsity teams. The Men's Basketball team was in attendance (including their coaches- another plus!), the Women's Soccer team stayed to cheer on their male counterparts, I saw former MSCD athletes and..... me. Representing my office, my team and my favorite mascot, Rowdy, who is taking a well-needed vacation (at the cleaners).
As soon as these punk fans from Fort Lewis' side began moving their jaws, not only did the former players build a wall between the loser fans and our women's team BUT the basketball players joined.
I tell you all (y'all ?), once you join a Varsity Athletic team at a college (for example, let's use Metro), it is like you are joining a sacred fraternity/sorority. One complete with code words, secret whistles, hand shakes, clothing lines, family dinners and built-in security. Which is why everyone was looking out for the women's team, even though I think our ladies could have handled the guys themselves. Word of warning: Don't mess with my Women's Soccer team; not only do they have back-up (8 other teams) but they could kick your butt themselves.

With one hand behind their back.



And their shoelaces tied together.