Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Pep talks-helpful or just wasted breath?

Before I get into this post, I just want to say that I have calmed down from my last post. I have received a couple of comments from my fans who were surprised at the anger shown towards that bookstore employee a couple of days ago. I DO NOT feel bad for my actions, nor am I going to apologize to the person. I just want to let you know that I have taken my deep breaths and moved on from situation. Enough said.
Onto my topic for the evening- Pep talks. In the past couple of days I have received about 5 or 6 pep talks from assorted persons; the advice varied but the topic was the same- school. As I have said about 88 million times (according to my little sister Elizabeth- her favorite number is 88), I am graduating in December (there, 88 million and one times). Why I am picking this semester to freake aus, given that I am taking classes that I know I will be able to enjoy and pass with good grades, there should be no reason why I feel like my jaw is turning into cement and why my back has more knots than a Boy Scouts practice rope. Ha!
Which is why the people that are near and dear to me are slightly concerned. My co-workers Laura, Brandi and Augie are counting down the days to Commencement (laymen's terms= graduation), where I will rejoin the human race as the 'Amber' that they fell in love with (note to self: only 106 days remaining). In fact, after taking my Advanced German Grammar final this summer, Augie said it was great having the "old Amber" back.
So why am I freaking out? I honestly have no clue. I wonder if other seniors, in their final semesters have experienced this or are experiencing this phenomenon right now?
*crickets*
So far, I believe I am the only one.
Everyone that has offered advice seems to think that this semester is just like every other one I've taken. My mom says "you passed those classes and you will pass these also." But this semester feels different. It isn't like I am trying to hold onto my undergrad years- No Thanks! I want that diploma more than I want a bean burrito from Taco Bell (if you know me, then you know how much I love bean burritos from Taco Bell). But is wanting something ever enough?
No. It takes hard work, determination and luck. Now, my time here at Metro has been absolutely sacred. I have loved every minute I've spent on this campus- blood, sweat, tears, tests, papers, usw. There is only one thing missing from this chapter in my life right now- my diploma.
But on December 17th, the chapter will be complete. That's a promise. That's the statement that gets me up everyday. And every time my jaw begins to hurt or my back begins to knot up, that will be the statement that calms me down.
I will get my diploma.