Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Pet Peeves and a Dunlapism

Last night in my 3rd Year Conversation class, we were speaking about pet peeves. Pet peeves can be many different things; for example, certain people, slow drivers in the fast lane, blizzards- these are just a few examples.
I have two big pet peeves: 1) When people push the handicapped button to open a door when they can open the door just as easily; and 2) When people I know walk by me without saying hello or even acknowledging my presence.
The first one about pushing the handicapped button is quite simple: If you are able to freely open the door, but you are too lazy to do so, I don't think you should push the button. Now, I have seen many mothers carrying their children and their purses who have pushed the button or people with their hands full of books or boxes. To me, that is okay. I wouldn't want the mom to drop her child or a fellow student to drop their books and papers.
I have seen many people, especially on this campus, push the button to open a door. I even have had two co-workers do it repeatedly when entering my office!! When I asked them why they do it, they both mentioned that they were afraid of germs that are on door handles. One stated it was just convenient to open the door that way.
NOTE: I have since then convinced both to open the door using the handle, not the button.
Onto my second pet peeve: This is another Dunlapism (see last post for more on Coach Dunlap). Dunlap was well-known for teaching those around him to acknowledge everyone by looking into their eyes. I think you can notice the basketball players when you walk around campus- well, besides the fact that most of them are as tall as the trees lining 9th street park. These men look you in the eye; they don't walk around campus staring at their feet, unless they have on new shoes, but can you really blame them? We all stare at our feet when we have new shoes on.
In addition to teaching his players to look people in the eyes, Coach taught you to say hello and make friendly conversation with the people you know and not let them walk away. For example, I go jogging downtown a lot. One night as I was cooling down, I saw the Coach had finished his jog on the fields and was walking back towards the Events Center. I wasn't sure if he had seen me, so I kept walking- big mistake. Not only had he seen me, he caught up to me and after we shared greetings, he told me that I shouldn't walk past people I knew, that I should acknowledge them and ask about their day.
I already knew I should do this but right then, I decided that I would do this simple act everytime I run into someone I know. I have run into people when they are rushing off to class, I have run into people when I'm running off to class- still I say hello and ask about their day.

So, if you ever see me around campus, say hello to me and don't push the handicapped button unless your hands are full!