Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Monday, September 11, 2006

A great man and his beautiful family

I'm crying. It isn't my fault- it is the fault of a wonderful man. I and the Metro State community have lost an integral piece to this beautiful college: you know him as Coach Mike Dunlap.
Yes, this is the one and only Coach Dunlap that just signed a 5-year contract with MSCD just a few weeks ago. But then Coach got a phone call from George Karl, Denver Nuggets Head Coach, who asked him to join his staff. While I and many others are happy for Coach to have this opportunity, I don't mind being selfish when I say "Darn you Coach Karl."
So why the tears? I just returned home from Coach Dunlap's good-bye party. Ha. What an oxymoron- goodbye party. No one parties when they leave a job, unless they don't like the surroundings or people that they work with. We celebrated the upgrade that Coach Dunlap was able to obtain. Everyone knows that he and his family have worked their tails off to get to where they are today. About his family: this is a great group of people. Coach's wife, Molly and their three children are so kind; just by being around them once or twice, it is like you are their family.
I just want to tell you about my experiences with Coach. When I was a freshman in 2001-2002 season, the team won their second National Championship Title. I was so proud to be a Roadrunner, I taped handmade signs in the windows of the Volkswagen Rabbit. Coach saw these signs and smiled a little.
Since I live on campus, I see Coach at many different events. I saw him at Commencement the past three years, as he has graduated players and was coming to congratulate them. I have talked to him at various fundraisers and functions, the most celebrated one being the Plain & Fancy Ball this past March.
Coach has been there for me. He has noticed how much I have changed since I was a freshman. He left me travel with his team- twice. Can I just interrupt the mushiness of this post and tell you how excited I was to be traveling with the men's basketball team? That is another story in its self- ask me about it later.
I will tell you that the most amazing thing about Coach happened when I was leaving the Tivoli parking lot. As I was crying my eyes out, the cute parking attendant, seeing a female in despair, gave me a hug. All because of Coach Dunlap.
While this post doesn't even tough on everything that Coach, his family and his teams have done for me, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to see all that you do and become a better person.

Thank you and good luck Coach.