Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Living the life that a College Admissions Counselor laughs at

People think I'm lying. I don't lie. Well, sometimes I lie to my little sister: "Hey Amber, do you want to play with me?" she will ask. "Yes, E let's play CandyLand" (for the 1000th time), I will say.
Mainly people think I'm lying when I tell them everything I do here at Metro. But I'm not. I really was Club President of the Cheerleading Squad for two years. I really was the Mascot for four years. I really have helped plan Homecoming the past couple of years. I have attended Commencement for the past three years.
Yup, I live the life that a College Admission Counselor laughs at. "When do you have time for school?", I hear. "When do you study?" is another question I hear. People in my situation, the ones that can't say no because the offer is for a great opportunity, are experts at juggling schedules.
Now, I may sound like I am going against my last blog entry, where I stated the reasons why I haven't been at any of the games this semester because of lack of time. You know, I know people that may never leave Metro. Students, I mean, not faculty or staff. These are "professional students" as my mother so eloquently puts it. They will never leave, they will take every class but still never declare a major (at least they could help re-write the course catalog).
But I digress. I enjoy everything that I do here at Metro (in case you didn't already know). But sometimes I feel like a goob when someone asks me what I do here- I usually stop for a minute and evaluate what this person appears to like: z.B. if I am talking to an athlete, I will mention my years on the squad and as Rowdy or if the person is intellectual-appearing (ha! Is there such a thing?), I will mention that I sat on the Board of Student Media last year. Seriously, how dorky is that?!?!

Oh well, I have embraced my dorkiness. Which is why I keep talking about it. My dorkiness, that is. And I'm done. Thanks for reading.