Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Catching flack for being absent

You know, I've done many things here at Metro. I've talked about my activities in previous postings and everyone I run into on campus knows I'm usually on my way to an event or planning a future one. What irritates me is when I see people around campus and they ask me the same question every time: "Why aren't you at any of the games?"
I understand the question. I wish I could be at the games. I love watching our athletes compete, I love cheering for them and I love entertaining the crowd. So call me selfish (oh, wait- someone already did).
So I would like apologize to my fellow student-athletes for not being around this semester. I would like to apologize to the fans, who are used to seeing my beautiful face (hidden behind a large beak, but you catch my drift). I would like to apologize to anyone whom I may have forgotten- it wasn't intentional.
But I would like to point out that for the past five years, I have postponed dentist appointments, family engagements, birthdays, holiday functions, work (and yes) even class so that Rowdy could be at appearances when asked. But I can't do that anymore. I need to be selfish and earn my bachelor's degree- sorry. Isn't that the ultimate goal of coming to college?
I've had my fun and participated in many different events- entirely my choice and I have enjoyed every one that I have attended. But I am ready to graduate and close the book on this chapter of my life.
So, when you see me around on campus and you stop to say hello, don't ask me where I've been.
I'm trying to graduate.