Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Grammar rules and friendly advice from my soapbox

It has been a while since my last real post, according to some of the grumbling I've heard on campus the past few days. I honestly didn't think that many people that work for Metro would read this blog. I find it absolutely fascinating and am embracing my newfound popularity.
Now before I get a big head, let me give you a reason why I haven't been posting like the madwoman I was a few weeks ago: I began my summer course last week.
Cue the scary music.
Ha, you haven't even heard which course I am taking: Advanced German Grammar.
Cue the scary music again.
Yes, as a German minor, I elected to take this course so that I can graduate in December. Because I have to graduate in December. You know, as fellow graduates of something/somewhere (I mean, we've all graduated before: kindergarten, sixth grade, high school, college, flight school, usw.), you know that once you say you are going to graduate, you can never NOT graduate. How embarrassing would that be?
Let me tell you what it is like, having to go back on a statement of that portion; sit back and enjoy the story: I wanted to go on a study abroad really, really bad. I mean, I would probably have sold my sister Holly to the highest bidder to travel overseas again to study. Studying abroad is one of the coolest things that you could do; it ranks up there with buying your first house, winning the lottery and/or finding the love of your life. Any way you cut it- study abroad rocks!
Back to the story: I was all packed and ready to go. Then my best friend Jessica gave me her wedding date, which happened to fall during the time I would have been learning German in Germany. I thought long about what to do and figured that I could just leave the program early and be back in time for the wedding, even though I would miss the Bridal Shower, the Bachelorette Party and all of the fun stuff that the Maid of Honor is forced, oops I mean asked to do. So, after some thought I decided that it would be too difficult to leave early (I was worried about how much credit I would receive) PLUS the whole being-here-so-Jessica-wouldn't-be-alone-in-her-struggle. Yeah, so after telling the entire world that I was studying in Germany, I had to cancel my trip. Talk about a big bummer. Thank God Jessica started to freak out/freake aus right before the wedding, otherwise I would have been really depressed about missing the trip (which I still was, btw. I could have hung out with my fellow German students, learned more German, earned six German credits (!), eat good- no GREAT- German food but also I could have checked out the male population in Germany, which isn't half bad).
Moral of the story: Be sure on something before you blab it to everyone within hearing distance. Which brings me back to my grammar course. Grammar kicks my butt. I forget the rules, so I make up new rules- which doesn't cut it (I've also tried to make up new German words, but that also hasn't cut it). But I just have to keep telling myself that I am going to graduate because I am taking this course.
I hope this shows my loyal readers that I have been busy and not sitting around, enjoying my summer like a true college student. I'm hard at work, which I believe you have to be when given a deadline like I have- technically, yes I did give myself the deadline but that is besides the point.
For prospective students, most of you have just graduated high school; for some, it might have been an easy-ride but for others, it was a struggle. I commend you all for graduating, whether it was easy or not. Receiving a high school diploma is awesome and you should be extremely proud; next comes the Bachelor's.
My advice to you is not to worry about the "standard 4-years" to get you degree- it isn't going to happen. Honestly, I have been attending Metro for five years and I have loved every minute of it. Another piece of advice? Take a couple of fun classes. I took Golf- that hasn't helped me graduate faster but it is a great conversation starter and helps with business transactions. So, I am going to step off of my soapbox and let you live your life.