Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ever try to jump off a roof? Don't land on your feet.

I'm not depressed (even though I still can't figure out what happened to my summer) nor am I training to be a stunt double (although that profession doesn't require a degree).
So why did I jump off a roof? I was partying with some of my co-workers. That's right- the wonderful staff of Metro State DO have a life off of campus (a lively one, especially since we jumped off a roof).
Now, before I get anyone calling my office, saying "You did what?", let me tell you that this was fairly safe. We jumped off the roof onto a gigantic trampoline.
No, I am not crazy. I had to jump because I went up to the roof. You can't back down when you are halfway there- just like my upcoming graduation. Everyone knows I will be receiving my diploma in December, announcements will go out soon, therefore I have to graduate.
I am not a person that will perform a task halfway. I like to think of myself as that slogan that was popular a couple of year ago (it was on t-shirts and bumper stickers): Go hard or go home.
I think that college is like that in a sense. You are spending a lot of money, you need to take time to study and read- College is not something that you can complete by going through the motions. Now, I am not saying that by giving it your all will you succeed in every aspect. There are a couple of classes in which I didn't perform well- but I tried my hardest and I don't care (I say that now quite easily, but if I go to graduate school, I will have some explaining to do). I'm not perfect. I am a normal college student- it is part of the process.
Back to my story. While blowing off some steam with my co-workers, one person began taunting everyone to jump off the roof on their trampoline. This person then demonstrated a couple of times before rallying a couple of troops up onto the roof (including myself and another newbie to roof-jumping).
So, since I was up on the roof I decided to jump. Do you know how hard it is to walk off of a roof? We are taught not to walk off roofs but when one of our friends does it, do you do it?
Yes. Yes, you do. And you have no idea what it was like because you couldn't think.
Quick tip for future roof-jumpers (I am NOT advocating jumping off a roof in any capacity; Please don't jump off a roof at all): Don't land on your feet. It hurts and jars your entire body, leaving you with a sore neck the next morning.
Therefore, no more roof-jumping for me. At least for a week or two.