Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

MIA- Where has my summer gone?

I wish I was in elementary school again. You know, I had it so good back then. I could sleep in until 6:30am, watch cartoons as I got dressed, I had recess and then I would be home by 3:30pm to watch my favorite show 'Saved by the Bell' (Natürlich, Zack was my favorite).
My summers were especially awesome. My mom worked, so my sister Holly and I would entertain ourselves all day: playing with Barbies, making fruit shakes, watching television, pretending to be gymnasts on our furniture, usw. If we were lucky and could beg our mom for a couple of bucks, she would let us go swimming for the afternoon at our local rec center. Our rec center was great; they had this huge blown-up Clifford (the big red dog) that you would climb on- it was so hard to climb on it and get to the top just to fall back into the water and start the process again.
Ah, the good ole days.
Now my summers are spent with meetings, working at my desk all-day and summer school. I think that international students and athletes have it made during the summer: 1) You get to go back home and see your family (whom I know you haven't seen all year and I do sympathize with that) BUT while you are home for the summer, I bet you don't have to do a thing except for enjoy yourself and occasionally workout; 2) You are traveling back to some exotic locale (even though its just your hometown). I am so jealous because I don't leave. Auraria Campus is my home in the sense that I spend so much time here. I'm here right now. I won't be leaving for another hour. I was in this morning before 8am. I am always here.
Which is why I wish I was back in elementary school. Heck, I would even go back to my sophomore year in high school, when I worked at Water World during the summer- at least I could go swimming for free and check out hot guys all day (Not that Metro doesn't have our fair share of good-looking men- we do, prospective female students, so come to Metro!).
The main ingredient to my summers of days gone by was relaxation. I was able to relax, concentrate on getting a good tan (ha!) and forget all of the learning that had been crammed in my head the past year. These days, I don't have that luxury. I have to pass my summer course and work the rest of the time.
No relaxing- that comes but once a year, between December 25th and January 1st. But it isn't coming fast enough.