Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Monday, August 07, 2006

2557

Did you enjoy your weekend? Maybe go out to the movies, dancing at the clubs or perhaps just hanging out with you friends, family, significant other, usw? Good for you.
My weekend- thanks for asking. Yesterday (Sunday August 6, 2006) I competed in a triathlon. Yup, that's right. I was one of 3400 women that braved the cold and extremely nasty water in the Cherry Creek Reservoir to compete in a race about a disease that would (if it hasn't already) affect us all. I am no doctor, nor am I very confident in my ability to run mathematical tests to determine a percentage of women that will be diagnosed with this disease. If you want more information about breast cancer or cancer in general, I would check out the National Cancer Institute's website which is www.cancer.gov.
At the Tri for the Cure yesterday, I was hit with a sudden realization that what I am doing right now could affect me and my chances of getting this disease. I almost teared up when I saw a female finish the swim that only had one breast. Not only did she have to go through the pain of being diagnosed and treated for breast cancer, but she had surgery and STILL had the strength to get up and do a triathlon. That was amazing.
Last year when I did this race, I honestly was just in shock the entire time (could have been because of the lack of oxygen in my brain or that my body was hurting profusely since I did not train at all). First, I couldn't get over the fact that everyone was cheering each other on. I had perfect strangers telling me that I was doing great, to keep pushing, that it was all downhill from here. I've been in a couple of 5Ks before and no one cheers each other on, unless you know that particular person. Second, I was just looking at the sea of pink and wondering which one of us competitors would be diagnosed with breast cancer. That is the only sad part about this race (well, not counting drinking the reservoir water)- knowing that in my wave of 30, about 5 of us would end up being diagnosed. What about those 5 women and their family and friends? What about their co-workers, their neighbors, their doctors and nurses? Sure, only that woman is diagnosed but we all feel it somehow.
Now is where I do my plug about getting regular check-ups and doing monthly breast exams. I know I am constantly telling my friends to check their breasts. Sounds gross and like I am overstepping my boundaries as friend but then again, I don't want to have to see my friends suffer through a disease like breast cancer- I would be there if one of them ever is diagnosed but I think prevention is the way to go, i.e. Ladies, monthly breast exams are the way to go!
Back to the Tri for the Cure: I said this last year and I will say it again- I am going to train for next year's race. My scores improved even though I didn't prepare for the race, so imagine what my time would be if I had trained. I can only wonder.
Then again, ask me next year.

(FYI- 2557 was my bib number).