Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Once you pop, you can't stop- getting involved

So, I am getting back on my soapbox. Sorry but I am going to give you great advice for performing well at Metro.
Get involved.
Simple? Yes, in thought but slightly more difficult in practice. Why would I say that, you may ask. Coming from someone who is as involved as I am, why should I discourage my fellow students or even prospective students from getting involved on campus? It isn't like I am saying "Don't get involved! No one needs your help!" What I mean is that once you get on a committee, start a club or join a fraternity/sorority, everyone asks you to be involved in three other ways.
It is an honor, I can say from experience since this has happened to me many times. I truly love that people think of me when they are in need of a student's voice. I can only hope that everyone of Metro's student (future, present or past) were able to get the same feeling that I get when I am asked to be a part of this great institution of education.
The best way to get involved on campus (in my opinion) it to visit the Office of Student Activites. That's right- an entire office completely full of ideas, clubs, groups and activities (haha) for you, just waiting for eager students to come in and ask to be involved.
So, you might ask, what is the problem with getting involved? Okay, I will enlighten you.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing but Metro is made up of people with lives off-campus. People are working a job or two, people are raising families- whatever the reason, this student population is busy when they are not in the classroom. Therefore, a vast majority of Metro students are not able to get involved. That is okay. I understand, I'm not knocking anyone down.
The problem is when you have some extra time and get over-involved. Naturally, your focus needs to be on school but some offers sound too good to pass up. For instance, I sit on the Board of Student Media. Why did I say yes when I was already Cheerleading Club President, a member of Tri-Sigma Sorority and a full-time student with a full-time job? Because I couldn't turn the offer down.
But you have to remember that this was my choice and I knew what I was getting myself into. I also thought of the pros of this new position and how this was one area that I hadn't really explored in my tenure here at Metro. Also, you need to know that I am very experienced in juggling many activities at once. I've been doing it since I was in high school- heck, I assume that everyone has had to juggle at one point in their life.
On that note, I encourage my fellow students to get involved on this campus. You can help make Metro and your campus what you want it to be; don't forget that.


For more information about getting involved, please visit Student Activities website at http://studentactivities.mscd.edu/