Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"Coaching" advice- final chapter

When I left off, I was describing my path to the President's Office. My sophomore year at Metro is when my life took on a new journey.
Well, not at first. See, in my ruthless pursuit of employment, I was forced to apply for a job at a place where gulp my mother worked. I know, I know- there are many people on the streets of Denver who would have been happy to be employed but they haven't met my mother, nor have they ever worked with my mother. Technically, I was hired at my mother's job about two days before Laura hired me, therefore I worked more hours at the off-campus job. Plus, at the time, there were plenty of work study students in the President's office, so I worked probably 10-15 hours a week on-campus.
At my other job, I was a data entry extraordinare (I added that last part). The company protested unemployment claims on behalf of the employer. Everything was electronic, therefore the amount of data to enter was HUGE. I worked crazy hours at that job because I was given the freedom to do so- I had a couple of things going for me:
1) My mom had worked at this company for 19 years when I started, so they reasoned that I would work like her (which, by the way, I did);
2) My personality was pleasing to everyone in the office, so I could get away with some things that others couldn't (for example, I hate dress shoes and eventually got permission to wear Chuck Taylors everyday);
3) My work ethic- To toot my own horn, I am a hard-worker who doesn't need to be supervised every minute of the day. My old boss, Angie would leave me alone for hours on end; it got that I would go and see her.... only to get more work.

So how did all of this fit in with my new position in the President's Office?

Well, it didn't. Not at first. I mean, since I wasn't there very often, I got all the work that no one else wanted- copying, delivering envelopes around campus, cleaning, usw. It wasn't until my junior year that I stepped up to the plate in the President's Office. We had 4 or 5 people graduate and there were more tasks to be completed in the office. Thank God for Laura- she embraced the idea of me working more. So I quit the other job and worked full-time in the President's office. There was so much to do and I had a lot to learn quickly: search procedures, forms, advertising, budget, meetings, travel, usw.

And that is basically a condensed version of my rags-to-riches story. How a girl that never gave a second thought about coming to Metro until her other choices were taken away ended up thriving at Metro- honestly, it only happened because of my mom but especially because of a wonderful, energetic person named Laura, who took a chance on a promising freshman. For that, I owe Laura so much and I could never repay my debt but will "pay it forward" instead. Hopefully, that is thanks enough.