Metro State home > About Metro State > Metro Blogs > Amber Michael

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Only 1,090 days left....

Talking about love on a blog- not very romantic. Nor is it really a good idea to spill the beans about a lackluster love life on a blog, especially one that people you attend school with (hopefully) will be reading.
So why talk about my love life right now? Because it has been on my mind the last couple of days. See, it's my best friend Jessica's fault- she just got married on Saturday (congratulations again to the happy couple). As her best friend, I was the maid of honor, a job which I think I did fairly well. But I'm straying from my point. Jessica's last words to me Saturday evening, as her and Cliff climbed into his truck was (and I quote) "you have three years."
While most people have no idea what she was talking about, I do. See, we have already decided to have children around the same time, meaning I need find someone to begin a romantic relationship with. This all boils down to one simple statement: Find someone, fall in love and get them to marry me in about 1090 days so that Jessica's children will have built-in playmates.
Simple, right? Wrong!
Not only am I picky when it comes to the opposite sex, but fall in love and get married within three years? Yeah right- does she know she is talking to the same woman who is taking 5 and 1/2 years to graduate college, the same woman who can't make up her mind about which restaurant to eat at, the same woman who doesn't know whether to use paper or plastic for her groceries?
Plus, marriage is a serious commitment- one doesn't just pick a partner to please their best friend's biological clock. On the other hand, it is awesome to have some sort of timeline. I'm not saying that I am caving into Jess's commands but it is nice to sit back and think "Hey, I really should work on my relationship status now." I, like most people, will follow a deadline. Tell me I need something done by next Tuesday and its done by Monday. I'm not really working against a deadline per se. Think of it this way: when you are younger it is perfectly acceptable to date around, realizing that you are young or having fun or weeding out the prospects. Understandable. But what happens when you get a little older and your friends begin to settle into relationships and (heaven forbid) they get married? What do you do if you are the only one still "enjoying the single life?"
So that is where I am coming from these past couple of days, well weeks actually. I'm not saying that the single life isn't all that its cracked up to be (It is awesome not to have to worry about another person's schedule or feelings or wants- it is!) but still it would be nice to have someone around after I've had a bad day, someone to laugh at my lame jokes, a permanent date to functions that require an attendant, usw.
So I have 1090 days left. Tick tock, tick tock.